Last week Emmanuel College hosted SEND (See Every Nation Discipled) Week and heard from a group of missionaries. Their stories dared us to think winder and believe bigger. They pushed us gently toward global awareness.
The leader was my dear friend Max Barroso. I am grateful for his courageous vision and his kind heart. I interviewed Max in our Spiritual Formation class. The students accepted his challenge.
Here are a few of his comments they received:
– How ministry has been done in the past isn’t cutting it anymore. Allow creativity to take you to somewhere nobody has ever been.
– Invest in others’ ministries. Don’t just think of your own.
– Often we tell God why we are unqualified and why we can’t do something, but in reality the only person that can kill the dream of God in my life is myself. Don’t let doubts and what other people say get in the way of what God is doing.
– Our intimacy with Christ defines our identity. Our intimacy with God will become our identities and our passions will become our assignments.
– We always have time for what we want to have time for. The question is, How badly do you actually want it? “I don’t have time” is the most dangerous phrase we can use. If we love something, we’ll make time for it. “I don’t have time” is a lame excuse. You have time for the things you want!
– We need people to go beyond the call. We serve a creative God with unlimited resources to help and guide us.
– The “call” never changes. Only the assignment. “Calling” is a word that is often misinterpreted. There is only one true call, and that is a call to follow God. We need not to worry about the certain task or job, because sometimes we glorify the task so much that we forget the One who calls us.
– God calls the unqualified for ministry. You don’t have to fit a religious script in ministry that’s been designed by man
– Don’t tell God what He can’t do in your life. The ONLY thing that can kill the call of God on your life is you. Nothing else. No one else.
– Listen for the Shepherd’s voice and know that His word will always affirm what He is saying to you. Listen for the echoes—that may be confirmation for what He is doing in your life.
– We need dreamers that are willing to God farther than where you think you can go. You have to get over yourself. God is able. Be open to what he can do. Stop trying to convince Him that He can’t do.
– It’s okay to not be okay. You don’t always have to be strong. Be vulnerable. Be strong enough to be weak. Sometimes we need to be strong enough to be weak, and except the full extent of his love.
– We serve a creative God with limitless resources.
– When you are in God’s presence regularly, you notice when you are not in it.
Let’s all receive those thoughts from Max. And let’s realized we are all to sense that lure of SEND.
Along the way,
Pause: Sit with faith and dare to stare down a giant or toss a rock his way. (Pause for Pastors: Finding Still Waters in the Storm of Ministry)
— for more on Max Barroso, check out this site: